Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA)
Sea to Sky School District conducts Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) on software systems and applications used to deliver education services to students and families.
Completed PIAs and updates are retained in a secure location at the School Board Office for the purposes of demonstrating due diligence and if needed, to respond to a requested Privacy Commissioner’s Audit. Questions regarding any of Sea to Sky School District's PIAs can be directed to the School Board Office (604-892-5228).
What is a PIA?
Ensure conformance with applicable legal, regulatory, and policy requirements for privacy.
Identify and evaluate the risks of privacy breaches or other incidents and effects.
Identify appropriate privacy controls to mitigate unacceptable risks.
Why do we need to complete a PIA?
What is Personal Information?
Note: The definition of personal information is “Recorded information about an identifiable individual other than contact information.” The following are examples of personal information (this is a non-exhaustive list):
- Name, address, email address, telephone number;
- Age, sex, sexual orientation, marital / family status, blood type;
- Information about an individual’s health care history, including a physical / mental disability;
- Information about an individual’s education, financial, criminal, employment history;
- Social Insurance Number (SIN), Personal Education Number (PEN);
- Personal views, opinions, religious / political beliefs and associations.